Tuesday, January 4, 2011

You've got a friend


"When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand and nothing, oh nothing is going right, close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there to brighten up even your darkest night." - James Taylor 

On my first day back at work, after a night of anxious sleep, I awoke and did everything I could to avoid the inevitable. I pressed snooze a million times and then finally woke up and went to the gym. This is a big deal since I loath gyms and mornings.


To my surprise, I was greeted at work, not by a pile of horrific things I'd left undone, but by a reminder that we have a meeting and had to sit and learn about mental health providers in our area until 2 PM. During each presentation we were given gifts and told by our wonderful community partners how much they appreciate us. Needless to say, some higher power knew that today needed to be inspiring ;).


Then when I finally went to got to my desk to check my emails, voicemail, and mailbox, I was not greeted by an overwhelming chaos, but by a very manageable load. Maybe it was my attitude and not the actual amount of work that made it easy to manage, but either way it was exciting. One of the emails even contained pictures from our work halloween carnival. Since confidentiality forbids me from posting pictures with my adorable children, I've included a picture of me looking very happy.. at work of all places. ;)


So remember, when you're down, allow others to cheer you up and when you can spare some joy spread it to those who may need it. Whether through a smile, a simple gift, or an honest compliment, it could brighten someone's day more than you ever realize

No comments:

Post a Comment