Monday, April 18, 2011

Chik-Fil-Yay!

I know it has been ages since I've written and for this I"m mad at myself. I've started several very deep posts, but haven't had the time or energy that such topics deserve. So tonight I'm starting back on a lighter note. Obviously, from my lack of posting, I've been extremely busy and some pretty heavy things have happened. Nothing that I've not gotten used to has happened. I have just been reminded of the cycle. Three more employees have quit at my office; however, they have gotten to hire some new employees. All of this I'm sure will come out in future posts, but tonight I only want to share a short dedication to one of my favorite places- Chik-fil-a.

Eating may be one of my favorite things. I was raised in a vegetarian household, but somehow, probably related to being raised in the deep south, one of my guilty pleasures is fried chicken. I love any and all types of fried chicken and fried foods for that matter. As I'm aging, I love foods of the fried nature less and less as my young steal stomach and body are wearing off and not so good at ignoring that fried chicken makes me feel like I'm taking years off of my life. I do still occasionally indulge. My indulgences usually include the crack filled chicken they have manage to magically create at the one and only Chik-fil-A.

As appropriate as it would be, this post isn't intended to highlight how much of a fatty I am.  There are several guilty pleasures that may even tie with Chik-fil-A on the tasty scale; however, I love Chik-fil-A for much more than it's ability to appease my belly. Chik-fil-A has always been an adamant supporter of non-profits. Truit Cathy has taken a particular interest in child welfare and has opened group homes in Georgia. Chik-Fil-A also treats it's employees very well. Chik-Fil-A is base on morals and values. Even if I'm less religious than I have been in the past, I think a business that has a foundation founded in something other than profit has a feeling that outweighs companies who only seem to want your money.

All this being said, this still is not the extent or the bulk of why this post is about to make you crack up or why I REALLY love Chik-Fil-A. So back when I was a sophomore in college, I broke down in from of this glorious restaurant at a stoplight. This was in my old Volvo that didn't have flashers. I was in the middle lane of a very crowded intersection. I didn't know what to do.. I called 911 and they said they would send an officer. As I waited, I almost began to cry. My Volvo wasn't the most reliable car and this was not a rare occurrence. In addition, I was on my way home to south Georgia and was worried my trip may have to be post-poned (this is when I still liked going back to south Georgia ;)). All of the sudden, before the police even responded, two Chick-Fil-A managers came and offered to push me to the nearby gas station. Then when they got there with their traditional smiles they humbly accepted my apology with "my pleasure" and gave me Chick-Fil-A coupons. As if pushing my car several hundred feet wasn't enough, THEY GAVE ME COUPONS!

All of this happened so long ago, why am I telling it now? Well today, after about 10 straight hours of working and driving around Atlanta, I stopped for a sandwich at Chik-Fil-A. At the window, the manager approached as the attendant was giving me my sandwich and asked if my emergency break was on. Sure enough, I had driven about 4 miles with it on and there was a lovely burnt rubber smell coming from the rental car I was driving for work. Both of the employees smiled as I embarrassingly thanked them. I was still in Atlanta at this point and may or may not have continued to drive home an hour with my emergency break on the entire way or until something went terribly wrong.

Chik-Fil-A employees will probably save me from a burning house in the next few years. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment