Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Compassion Fatigue

Since this blog is supposed to be my catharsis and outlet for negative energy twisted into the positive lights that we often fail to ignore.... I'm forcing myself to write today. Apparently March is one of the statistically "worst" months in DFCS and apparently march decided to start on the 28th of February.

All I can say is that I need to learn how to turn off my working brain. My work; however, takes caring and compassion. Without this caring and compassion, the work is hollow, fruitless, and people do not feel as if you are genuinely trying to help them. The job is quite the dichotomy because this "compassion fatigue" as some call it, is the same issue that often makes us incompetent because we are too physically and emotionally strained. Take away this compassion, and we loose the most vital aspect of the job, but we gain efficiency.

Just as with all the difficult life issues, we must learn balance. We must learn to love, but to also let go.We must learn the system, and we must fight to improve it. We must not take on the problems of those we work with as our own, but pour our soul into helping in whatever ways we are capable. We must lean the delicate balance and we must not give up. I'm fatigued at this moment, but I'm also alive, healthy, and have a support network bigger than I probably even realize. It is my job to be the support network for my clients, but just as I cannot put all my burdens on anyone in my support system, I should not expect to take on the burdens of the world.

Tomorrow the sun will rise, and tomorrow I'll be the same person with the same power and the same limitations. Tomorrow the same problems. Tomorrow will be a new opportunity for positive growth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment